About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Thursday 30 September 2010

Teething rebellion

My worst nightmare happened today. Gremlin refused her lunch. She was cross and angry right from the point of going into the highchair and getting the gel into her was a real battle. She totally refused her main (protein providing) course- it didn't look very tasty, to be fair, but she wouldn't even try it so I think there was more to it than not liking it. One word. TEETH. To add to my misery, we were out at a soft play place and there were no other options where I could calculate the protein content. I gave it a good fight but eventually cracked open my emergency packet of Quavers (very, very low protein crisps and a PKU diet staple it seems!) and she ate a few of those, but that was that. Game over.

However, I'm very pleased to report that it was actually ok. In an ideal world she eats her 6.5g protein staggered throughout the day, so I always try to do 2.5g breakfast, 2g lunch, 2g dinner. Today we ended up with 2.5g breakfast, 0g lunch and 4g dinner. She ate her dinner fine! Babies eh?! I do know that some days I won't be able to make up the difference, as Gremlin is increasingly showing she knows her own mind, but as a PKU Mum friend said to me once, "As long as you are doing it mostly right for most of the time, then you are doing ok." Amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment