About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Friday 24 September 2010

Broccoli and other funny ones


I think I've touched on it before (with banana) but there are certain fruit and vegetables that Gremlin can only eat in small quantities. I sometimes feel like these are an extra trick to try and catch me out. You cannot apply a blanket rule to all fruit and vegetables, as although most are protein free, there are these tricky little characters which can only be eaten in limited quantities. Only one serving of one item is allowed to count as 'free' per day.

Fruit
banana (one small per day)
dates
figs (dried only)
peaches (dried only)
physalis
banana chips (dried)
mixed dried fruit (small packet per day, not Goji berries)

Vegetables
asparagus
beansprouts
broccoli
brussel sprouts
cauliflower
mange tout peas
plantain
runner beans
sugar snap peas

Oh this PKU business can be tricky sometimes. Green beans are protein free, but runner beans must be limited to one portion a day? I didn't even realise there was any difference between the two, being only a very recent bean convert.

In addition, some fruit and vegetables do contain protein. Peas, sweetcorn, potatoes, broad beans, spinach, yams, kale,avocado and passion fruit (to name a few) are all high enough in protein to be exchanges only.

There's so much to learn and some days I do feel as though my brain can't handle any more. I have lists of vegetables, pasta, cereals and their protein contents all over my fridge.

1 comment:

  1. Blooming 'eck, your brain must be bulging! At least with my fruit thingy it's not dangerous, and it's pretty blanket. x

    ReplyDelete