About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Thursday 21 October 2010

Rubbish Messy Day

It's been a really tough day today. Most days I just get on with dealing with the PKU diet, but today had been a challenge from the start. Gremlin is a bit off colour I think as she has refused to finish all of her meals, and so with that, all of her protein. Each meal's protein content was rolled over into the next and we have ended the day still short. In desperation I tried to give Gremlin 43g of yogurt (high protein, and my backstop banker) to make up the difference and unbelievably she didn't want that either. She did, however, snaffle the broccoli florets I put on her tray to play with while I tried to calculate what she had eaten and what she still needed to eat protein-wise. Tricky minx. I decided to try a technique suggested by GOSH yesterday and measured out 1 exchange of Philadelphia (17g full fat variety) and spread it on some of her PKU bread. I then let her at it. She bloomin' well ate it, sort of. I appreciate that I have to let her learn to feed herself, but how on earth will I know how much protein has been eaten when the meal ends up like this? Gah.

2 comments: