About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Tuesday 12 October 2010

Happy Birthday!

Well here we are. Gremlin turned 1 today. I can't quite believe it. A whole year of PKU survived and, to a point, mastered. Gremlin is doing fantastically well and hitting all her developmental milestones. Her blood phenylalanine levels have been more in range than out of range. She enjoys her food and eats a very varied and interesting array (within reason) very proficiently. She is inquisitive, sociable, funny, kind and loves her big sister more than anything (except possibly strawberries). I am so proud of her and the way that nothing phases her. I am also increasingly amazed at the ever brilliant Moomin who, at only 3 and a half herself, has a very good working knowledge of PKU and always checks whether Gremlin can eat things and how much protein they contain. Gremlin is very lucky to have such a fantastic cheerleader and supporter looking out for her.

Gremlin has taught me so much in the last year and I feel I'm a better person for it. My life has been completely transformed by her and, despite my frequent bursts of PKU related frustrations, I wouldn't have it any other way.

We had a little birthday tea party with all Gremlin's grandparents and it was lovely! It was full of tasty food and almost completely PKU friendly. I made a cake (Fate mix available of prescription) and covered it in butter icing and vegetarian jelly beans. I found some vegetarian jelly crystals in Holland and Barrett and used the website on the packet to find out that they were 0.3g protein per 100g so transformed them into a cat and mouse jelly. We also had Loprofin pasta (prescription) with homemade simple tomato sauce for a salad, pku bread (prescription) and jam sandwiches, cucumber, tomatoes, grapes, plums and, of course, the PKU favourite QUAVERS, in 3 flavours now! It does take a lot of organisation and planning but managing the PKU diet is possible and needn't be too different, as this party showed to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment