About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Sunday 1 August 2010

Say Cheese!



Gremlin cannot eat cheese. Well, she could eat some cheese as an exchange but such a teeny weeny amount that it's just not worth it. I calculated it the other day. For 1 exchange she could have 4g of cheese. Have you ever weighed 4g of cheese? I did. It is TINY. A mouse would be disappointed with 4g.

Jacky, one of the GOSH dieticians, had told us about Redwood Foods and their range of 'Cheezly' vegan cheese. It has much lower protein levels than regular cheese and would mean that Gremlin could have more volume. I thought about it then promptly forgot. I'm ashamed to admit that whilst reading a Daily Mail article about Heather Mills and her vegan restaurant I remembered. 30g of Cheezly ("cheddar", "edam", "gouda" and many more) is the equivalent of 1 exchange.

I managed to track some down in Holland and Barrett and today offered Gremlin a full cheese exchange. To me, cheese monster that I am, it did not resemble cheese, but to Gremlin it was very tasty. She ate the whole lot. Moomin tried it and she quite liked it too, which I was not expecting but am very pleased about!

I was also excited to find that my favourite veggie pate (I am vegetarian), which is also purchased from Holland and Barrett, was only 7.5g of protein per 100g so could well be another exchange idea as a sandwich filling. I measured 1 exchange (13g) and spread it on one of her protein free crispbreads with which she is so taken. It was an almost total fail at the first hurdle. She didn't like it at all. Oh well, all the more for me for now and I quickly weighed out an alternative exchange of Sweet Vegetables with Pasta as lovingly prepared by Heinz.

No comments:

Post a Comment