About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Friday 27 August 2010

Mixed Feelings

Moomin and Gremlin are going for a sleepover with my parents tomorrow night. I am so looking forward to a night off. Moomin went to stay with them now and again from about 6 months (but has always been a better sleeper than Gremlin) and I think it did us all good.

Tomorrow will be Gremlin's first night away at 10 and a half months and I am absolutely petrified. It is a good thing to do for many reasons but control of her diet has been down to me (and Daddymin a bit, but mostly me) and tomorrow I will be handing it over for 24 hours. I have spent the last couple of hours sorting things and writing detailed lists of what and how much she should eat and when and I do trust my parents totally, but I am still petrified. As Daddymin reminds me, Gremlin will be fine as even if she eats something she shouldn't, as a one off it will not hurt her (it is long term sustained high levels which cause the damage) but that doesn't really relax me. I never want her levels to be out of range.

My return to work is approaching fast, and Grandmamin will be looking after Gremlin for 3 days a week. So this is very good practice, as I keep telling myself again and again. Grandmamin knows and understands the PKU diet, and has done her best with weighing tests I have given her! Grandadmin will do as he is told and is very good at maths (very helpful for weighing and recalculating). I have done all the preparation and planning, and need to learn to control from a distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment