About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Thursday 29 July 2010

(Oaty) Crunch Time

Well today it happened. The thing I have been dreading (well, aside from the carraway seeds incident last month!).

Gremlin ate something that she shouldn't have. We were in a park and Moomin was off playing. I turned my back for 30 seconds to check where she was and in that time Gremlin stole some oaty biscuit thing from her new little friend Mario. Mario's Mummy said, "Oh, she's gone for the healthy option" and I spun round like lightening to dig it out of her mouth. Gremlin had been eating one of her prescription wafers (which look like a regular sugar filled one) and is something I wouldn't have dreamed of giving Moomin at the same age but anything with protein in is not the healthy option for Gremlin. I don't think she ate much, but I cannot be absolutely sure.

It's got me thinking that I should tell everyone about her PKU whenever food is on the scene, which is pretty much all the time with babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers everywhere we go. I've been trying not to make PKU the first thing people know about her but it's going to have to be, for a while at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment