About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Sunday 11 July 2010

Clever Moomin

The vanilla wafers have been a definite hit for Gremlin. Moomin has tried them too and approved. She is becoming increasingly interested in Gremlin's food and special tummy. Without prompting she asked me tonight if she could look at the 'pwoteen' of Gremlin's food. I showed her the packet and pointed to the protein content line. She nodded wisely and said, "Good".

I've also heard her playing and talking with her toys about protein. We do mention Gremlin's special tummy that works in a different way to ours but we don't talk about it much beyond that. She's also started to talk about it at pre-school and completely confused the teachers there! I've had to give a 'beginner's guide to PKU' to them, as they had no idea what she was talking about. I suppose that will save me a bit of a job when Gremlin starts there herself in a couple of years!

Someone suggested today that 'special tummy' is a strange phrase to use and may make Moomin feel like she is not special. I don't know. It is very hard to keep everyone happy and find appropriate ways to explain things to a 3 year old. As much as I don't want Moomin to feel un-special, I don't want Gremlin to feel too different either. I do think Moomin 'gets' it. She certainly knows that her tummy works the same way as Mummy and Daddy's, and she knows that there will be lots of her food that Gremlin can't eat because of her special tummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment