About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Wednesday 7 July 2010

We're going to need a bigger kitchen

Our wonderful chemists, for who nothing is too much trouble, phoned to tell me that Gremlin's first protein-free prescription food delivery had arrived and was ready for collection.

I strolled up there with Moomin, Grandmamin and Gremlin in the buggy thinking that we could juggle it between us and the buggy. I was expecting one loaf of bread, 3 packets of wafers, some puddingy things and some pasta boxes. This is what we were given:











I don't think the picture gives away the true scale. There are 6 loaves of bread, 12 packets of vanilla wafers, 1 box of penne pasta, numerous packets of puddingy things, some extra snack things from the manufacturer to try, and an entire tray of the all purpose mix (to make cakes, bread, and other things I don't even know about yet). This does not include animal shape pasta and cake mix! I had to go back with the car to cope with it all.

As this is our first order I have no idea whether this is normal or not. Perhaps for an adult? I am kind of hoping that the lovely chemist has got their numbers a bit wrong and ordered 1 'crate' rather than 1 'packet'! I know that Gremlin is their first and only PKU patient, so they are learning with us.

Meanwhile, as Gremlin's PKU Start milk delivery of 6 boxes is coming tomorrow, we are definitely going to need a bigger kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment