About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Saturday 1 May 2010

A mind of her own........

Today Gremlin decided she didn't like what she was offered for lunch and my underlying stress levels are rising!

I'm still experimenting with jars and pouches to provide her 'exchanges' while I get to grips with it all. For lunch Daddymin offered Gremlin some 'Vegetable Medley with Sweet Potato'. This was not acceptable! It was a long hard slog to get 1 exchange worth (55g) into her, and we decide that we will not push anymore on her but instead give an alternative exchange at dinner time.

We eat out for dinner, as a treat to Moomin (and us), so take the trusty digital scales along with us to Pizza Express. Whilst Moomin tucks in to a lovely pizza, Gremlin eats 33g (1 exchange) of 'Pasta Bolognese' with lots of mess but little fuss.

Daddymin and I decide that it is probably best to give Gremlin exchanges with higher concentration of protein so she has to eat less volume before we know she has had her exchanges and my stress levels do not climb so high.

As an aside, we sit down in cafe this afternoon and find a balloon just there waiting for us. It gives a wonderful message and actually makes me feel much better about PKU and the future, just as I have been worrying about it all the most......

1 comment:

  1. Well, she'll be good at maths by the time she goes to school!

    ReplyDelete