About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Monday 3 May 2010

Unfortunate Gloop Incident

Left - 55g of plain mashed potato (1 exchange) and 18g of petit pois (1 exchange)
Centre- plain mashed swede and carrot batons (protein free)
Right- williams pear (protein free)

I shall start with the success. The pear! Cut it into chunks and it is so deliciously ripe and juicy that it just falls apart in her mouth. She loves, loves, loves it. He's a slipperly little sucker though and it is a manual dexterity test for both of us!

Before that though, I whizz up the potato and peas together to create 73g of protein and 2 exchanges. This is officially 'not a good idea'. It turns into a bizarre green gloop and Gremlin is not at all impressed. It is a real struggle but eventually she takes 30g worth. We know this because I send Daddymin off to re-weigh. This is not even 1 exchange. She tries a bit of swede and seems to enjoy it and also gnaws on some of the carrot quite happily, but as these are protein free this does not help the exchange quandry.

I set about more brain squeezing maths to try and work out what to do to get the rest of the protein into her. It will have to be an alternative exchange for dinner, but what about that extra bit? I work out (eventually) that she ate 82% of 1 exchange. I need to make up the remaining 18%. I decide to go back to jars for dinner and mademoiselle will 'ave zee Organix 'Wholegrain Rice, Chicken and Apple' (oooo la la) which contains 2.0g of protein per 100g. So 50g is one exchange, and 18% of one exchange is 9g. She slowly but surely takes the 59g and I'm pleased and relieved.

The moral of the story is....... DO NOT COOK and WHIZZ! I loved cooking for Moomin, who took to food with great gusto and enjoyment. However, Gremlin is a very different kettle of fish and the limited rules/options available to us mean that jars are the best bet for her at the moment I think.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good idea to keep it simple! I'm sure when she can manage mash and peas without you having to puree them she will eat it. I'm not sure pureed mash and peas appeals to me either!

    ReplyDelete