About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Thursday 13 May 2010

Sweets for my sweet

A better day today. I have followed 2 main principles- 1. Offer Gremlin more sweet things, as it's what she likes, and 2. Don't worry about offering Gremlin more sweet things- it is more important that she eat her exchanges than anything to do with variety and sweet/savoury. The same rules do not apply in a PKU diet. All in all I manage to get all 4 exchanges and 3 sachets of gel in without too many meltdowns, at least not food related ones (pesky babies), or re-weighing and juggling. As if that wasn't enough I also get her to eat something I make, and she actually looks like she enjoys it.

Breakfast- PKU Start milk with 14.1g of a 17g Farley's Banana Rusk (1 exchange)
Lunch- 66g of Pasta Bolognese disguised in Plum Banana, Blueberry and Vanilla (2 exchanges). I had set out for these to be main then pudding, but it became clear that the Bolognese was not as popular as it had been the other day and by making one big meal (although not mixed together as I'd still need to weigh what she didn't eat of the Bolognese, just both on a spoon) we achieve success.
Dinner- Butternut Squash and Pear (homemade!!!!!!) and 38g of Vanilla Custard (1 exchange)

Job Done!

Something else that Michelle mentioned yesterday which I meant to comment on was the fact that Gremlin's taste buds will be developing differently to ours. What tastes nice to me or her sister may not taste nice to her. An example is the ghastly PKU gel, which to me even hidden within Strawberry Nesquik is hideous, but is wolfed down by Gremlin most days. Older PKU children at the clinic have surprised the dieticians when they are not impressed at a new PKU food!

No comments:

Post a Comment