About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Friday 5 November 2010

Hi Ho Hi Ho

This week I went back to work. With regards PKU, it's taken a lot of planning, training and quite some organisation but so far so good. We're very lucky that Grandmamin is looking after Gremlin, along with Moomin when not at mini school. In addition Daddymin has managed to arrange to work from a more local office for the days when I am at work. This is extra helpful as I start work very early so Daddymin can leave later on those days. This is how it has worked so far:

1. I plan and calculate all Gremlin's meals and snacks the night before and write them in her food diary.

2. Daddymin gives Gremlin her breakfast according to food diary. He records what she has eaten and what she has not!

3. Grandmamin gives Gremlin her lunch and afternoon snack according to food diary. She records what she has eaten and leaves what she has not on the side for me to recalculate later.

4. I review food diary and work out whether I need to recalculate her dinner. I give her her dinner according to food diary and any recalculations.

In addition there are lists on the fridge of protein free foods that Grandmamin can give as extra snacks should they be required. So far every day has required recalculations (as the independent streak continues unabated) but the system works. I'm so relieved because I spent months worrying about this and how it would all work!

No comments:

Post a Comment