About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Thursday 24 June 2010

A word of warning

I am an idiot. I found a great recipe online - Butternut Squash and Red Pepper Stew - all seemingly protein free. Having read in my GOSH blurb that all herbs were protein-free (and stupidly jumping to conclusions about all spices, flavourings etc) I gaily added some caraway seeds, which had no nutritional information on their jar. The stew was delicious and Gremlin really enjoyed it. But something made me think about it later. I checked online and caraway seeds contain 19.77g of protein per 100g. That is quite high. I worked out that I added 3 exchanges worth of caraway seeds to the whole dish. It did make dinner for me, Daddymin, Grandmamin and Moomin aswell as Gremlin, so she probably didn't even have half an exchange-worth by the time we'd eaten our bits but I am so very cross at myself. I have certainly learnt my lesson. We await her blood test result to see if it has had too detrimental an effect on her phenylalanine levels.

2 comments:

  1. You are not an idiot! You are doing a fab job with three good results in a row. Most of the rest of us don't even consider this kind of stuff before throwing it into our food!
    Sounds like it's going quite well though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ali :-)

    Hope Maddie's on the mend?

    ReplyDelete