About Me

Hertfordshire, UK
I am a very lucky Mum to two beautiful daughters, known here as Moomin and Gremlin. My second gorgeous girl, Gremlin (above), has PKU (Phenylketonuria) and has introduced us to a whole new world! This blog is intended to record our journey with regards it, particularly focusing on food and eating.

Wednesday 2 June 2010

We are finally lurgy free and I'm back on the weaning bandwagon. I've been researching Vegetarian and Vegan weaning for ideas and am continually amazed by how much protein is in a regular diet. There are lentils and potatoes all over the place! I've had some absolutely brilliant ideas from my lovely, lovely veggie friend in Slovakia who has been forced to become the 'Queen of Unusual Vegetable Cooking' by virtue of the fact that Slovakia really isn't very vegetarian friendly. I've even bought a Kohl Rabi from a local Turkish supermarket based on her advice! (Look it up if you don't know what it is!).

We ate out at lunchtime and, for the first time, I was asked by someone why I was weighing Gremlin's food. She wondered if it was a new fad. I explained what I was doing and she was lovely and very interested. I'm still a bit self conscious when we're out and about as I can feel people watching while I sort out Gremlin's gel and food but that's my problem and we have to make it as normal as possible for her.

This is Gremlin tonight after 2 exchanges of Vegetable Lasagne by Hipp Organic, followed by a free for all on a little bit of steamed cauliflower (contains a small amount of protein so she can only have one portion per day as 'free'), streamed carrot sticks then a strawberry and some mango to gnaw on. Not a huge amount went in but she loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment